How I pity the luxury SUV shopper.
The market is flooded with well-designed, well-built, upscale cars. Between the options offered by BMW, Audi, Lexus, Acura, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz and others, every aspirational car company has a suitable SUV for sale.
On the lower end, Volkswagen and Subaru are getting ready to present new SUVs. On the high end, Bentley now offers the Bentayga, Alfa Romeo has the Stelvio and even Lamborghini is prepping its Urus SUV for a late 2017 debut.
They’re all so good that figuring out which are better and/or best is really a question of personal taste.
Jaguar is the latest to jump in with its take on the suburban people mover. And it’s a contender.
F-Pace makes a good choice.
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Times’ take: A handsome, high-spirited people mover
- Highs: Hauls like an SUV, handles like a sports car
- Lows: Has Jaguar finally conquered quality control issues?
- Vehicle type: Four-door, five-passenger sedan
- Base price: $58,695
- Price as tested: $66,035
- Powertrain: 3.0-liter V-6 supercharged gasoline engine
- Transmission: Eight-speed automatic
- Horsepower: 380
- Torque: 332 pound feet
EPA fuel economy rating: 18 mpg city / 23 mpg highway / 20 mpg combined